- Each package2 must bear the following particulars, in letters grouped on the same side, legibly and indelibly marked, and visible from the outside.
- In the case of packed produce, all particulars must be grouped on the same side of the package, either on a label attached to or printed on the package, with water-insoluble ink.
- In the case of reused packages, all previous labels must be carefully removed and/or previous indications deleted.
- Packer and/or dispatcher/exporter:
- Name and physical address (e.g. street/city/region/postal code and, if different from the country of origin, the country) or a code mark officially recognized by the national authority3 if the country applying such a system is listed in the UNECE database.
- For inspection purposes, the “packer” is the person or firm responsible for the packaging of the produce (this does not mean the staff that actually carry out the work, who are responsible only to their employer). The code mark is not a trademark, but an official control system enabling the person or firm responsible for packaging to be readily identified. The dispatcher (shipper or exporter) may assume sole responsibility, in which case identification of the “packer” as defined above is optional.
Nature of produce
- If the contents are not visible from the outside and depending on the commercial type:
- “Witloof chicory” or “Endives”;
- “Red chicory”;
- “Mixture of chicory”, or equivalent denomination, in the case of a mixture of distinctly different colours of chicory. If the produce is not visible from the outside, the colours and the quantity of each in the package must be indicated.
- The name of the produce may be replaced by a photo or a drawing of the produce.
Origin of produce
- Country of origin4 and, optionally, district where grown, or national, regional or local place name.
- Marking must include the country of origin, i.e. the country in which the chicory was grown (e.g. “Produce of Belgium“).
- The indication must be with the full name or a commonly used name. The term “full“ means that abbreviations or acronyms are not allowed. On the other hand, the full name of a country is the official name of the country (e.g. Kingdom of the Netherlands). The commonly used name is e.g. the Netherlands or Holland for the Kingdom of the Netherlands. A commonly used name is USA for the United States of America. In this context, “USA“ is the only acronym allowed when indicating the country of origin.
- Optionally, district of origin in national, regional or local terms may also be shown.
- In the case of a mixture of distinctly different colours of chicory of different origins, the indication of each country of origin shall appear next to the name of the colour concerned.
- Stating the class is compulsory.
- Size expressed as minimum and maximum lengths (optional).
Official control mark (optional)
- Name of illustration
- Example of marking printed on the package
- Example of marking printed on a label