Foreign matter (% by wt.) (Maximum limit of tolerance)
Brokens (% by wt.) (Maximum limit of tolerance)
Admixture (% by wt.) (Maximum limit of tolerance)
Damaged and discoloured chalky, Immature and Green (% by wt.) (Maximum limit of tolerance)
- Raw Handpounded medium rice shall :-
- be the dried mature kernels of Oryza sativa L;
- have uniform size, shape and colour;
- be sweet, hard, clean, wholesome and free from moulds weevils, obnoxious smell, discolouration admixture of deleterious substances and all other impurities except to the extent indicated in the schedule;
- be in sound merchantable condition;
- not have moisture exceeding 14 percent;
- Foreign Matter :- It includes dust, stones, lumps of earth, chaff, stem or straw and any other impurity.
- Broken :- Brokens shall include pieces of kernels which are less than three-forth of a whole kernel. The pieces smaller than one-fourth of the whole kernel are to be treated as fragments. The proportion of fragments shall not exceed 4.0, 6.0, 8.0 and 10.0 percent for grade I, II, III and IV respectively.
- Admixture :- Presence of inferior varieties and red kernels shall be considered as admixture. The proportion of red kernels shall not exceed 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 percent for grades I, II and III respectively.
- Red Kernels :- Kernels whole or broken, which have 25% or more of their surface coated with red bran.
- Damaged and Discoloured :- Grains that are internally damaged or discoloured, damage and discolouration materially affecting the quality. ‘The proportion of damaged grains shall not exceed 5.0 percent for grade IV.
- Chalky :- Grain at least half of which is milky white in colour and brittle in nature.