Grade designation ns
Sponge gourd must be of superior quality. They must be characteristic of the variety or commercial type in shape, external appearance, development and colour. They must be free of defects, with the exception of very slight superficial defects provided they do not affect the general appearance of the produce, the quality, the keeping quality and presentation in the package. sponge gourd must be uniform in colour.
They must be:
-Well trimmed with neatly cut stem (Peduncle up to 5 cm);
– well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc: 10 mm per 20 cm of length of the sponge gourd);
-have a typical colour of the variety; and
-free of defects including all deformations and particularly those caused by seed formation (black coloured seeds).
5 % by
weight of sponge gourd not satisfying the requirements of the grade, but meeting those of Class I grade or, exceptionally, coming within the tolerances of that grade.
Sponge gourd must be of good quality. They must be characteristics of the variety and/or commercial type. They must be ;
– reasonably developed;
– reasonably well shaped and straight (maximum
10 % by
weight of sponge gourd not satisfying the
height of the arc: 10 mm per 15 cm of the length of sponge gourd).
Provided that the following do not amount to defect if they do not affect the general appearance of the produce, the quality, the keeping quality and presentation in the package.
– slight deformation;
– slight defect in colour, slight pale especially the light coloured part of the sponge gourd where it touched the ground during growth; and
-slight skin blemishes due to rubbing and handling or
low temperatures not to exceed 5 percent of the total surface area, provided that such blemishes have healed and do not affect the keeping quality.
The defect must not affect the flesh.
of the grade, but meeting those of Class II or, exceptionally, coming within the tolerances of that grade.
This class includes sponge gourd which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy the minimum requirements: Provided that the following do not amount to defect if the sponge gourds retain their essential characteristics as regards the general appearance, the quality, the keeping quality and presentation in the package which have –
– deformation other than seed development;
– defects in colour up to one-tenth of the surface;
– considerable defects in colour in the affected part are not allowed;
-healed cracks provided not affecting the flesh;
.- slight damage caused by rubbing and handling not to exceed 10 percent of the total surface area.
The defects must not affect the flesh.
Slightly crooked Sponge Gourd may be allowed in this Class which has a maximum height of the arc of 20 mm per 20 cm of length of the Sponge Gourd
10 % by
weight of Sponge Gourd not satisfying the requirements of the grade, but meeting the minimum requirements.
- whole (with stalk);
- fresh in appearance;
- sound with characteristic shape of the variety, produce affected by rotting or deterioration such as to make it unfit for consumption is excluded;
- clean, free of any visible foreign matter (properly drained, if washed);
- free from bruising or extensive healed overcuts;
- free from damage caused by pest or diseases;
- free from abnormal external moisture, excluding condensation following removal from cold storage;
- free from foreign smell or taste;
- free from signs of internal shriveling or dehydration or water-soaking;
- free from damage caused by low temperature or high temperature or frost;
- free from bitter taste;
- free from grittiness of skin;
- free from fissures, cavities;
- free from internal blacking and hard fiber formation;
- free from black or yellowish spots.